Provided below are answers to additional questions that you might have about Tsinghua School of Economics and Management. We hope that this list, along with the information we have provided in other areas of this website, effectively addresses most of your questions. If you do not find an answer to your question, please contact us at intlmbaadm@sem.tsinghua.edu.cn and you will receive our reply as soon as possible.
  • What is GMAT test? Where can I obtain more details about GMAT?
    The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) consists of four parts: Analytical Writing Assessment, Quantitative Section, Verbal Section and Integrated Reasoning Section. All the four sections are administered in a computer-adaptive format. The official test report should be received by the end of May for guaranteed review. GMAT scores are valid for five years. Scores from tests taken earlier than this will not be accepted. Applicants may elect to take the GMAT more than once; however, the highest GMAT score will be considered. The GMAT Program Code for the Tsinghua-MIT Global Program is VH0-JJ-18; The GMAT Program Code for the Tsinghua MBA Program (Part-Time) is VH0-JJ-21. To obtain more information and register for the test, visit www.mba.com.
  • Can I take GRE test instead of GMAT test?
    Yes, GRE score is accepted as the substitute of GMAT score as an admissions requirement. GRE Designated Institution (DI) Code for Tsinghua MBA Programs: 3856. To Obtain more information and register for the GRE test, visit: www.ets.org/gre/.
  • What if I can't take GRE or GMAT test?
    International Candidates or Candidates from HK/Macau/Taiwan can use the Tsinghua MBA Alternative Entrance Exam as a substitute for the GMAT or GRE for admission into our MBA Programs. The test is similar to the GMAT in that it is a multiple choice math, sentence correction critical thinking, reading comprehension test with an analytical writing component. Registration for the test is also free of charge to prospective students. Please contact us for sample test via intlmbaadm@sem.tsinghua.edu.cn.
Recommendation Letter
Work Experience
Admission Information
Visits & Interviews
  • What is the policy for visiting the SEM?
    You are always welcome to visit our School and attend our Open Day to get more information about our program. Please contact us in advance if you plan to visit our office or audit any classes.
  • What is the interview policy?
    We will selectively interview individuals who submit an application to the SEM. These interviews will be by invitation and at our initiative only; not all applicants will be interviewed. An invitation to an interview should be interpreted neither positively nor negatively in regards to one's admission status. It simply means we are seeking additional clarification of your goals and professional and personal attributes.
  • When and how is the interview conducted?
    Potential candidates will be invited to Beijing for an interview at our school (Skype interview can be arranged). The interview provides an opportunity for the faculty to evaluate the analytical and interpersonal abilities of applicants, as well as their managerial and leadership potential. Candidates will be notified about the admission decision by email within 2 weeks after the interview.
  • Can I contact alumni in my area? Can I contact current students?
    Sure. You are welcome to do so. If you need, we can help you to get in contact with our students, ideally from your country or region.
  • When can I apply and obtain student visa?
    The student visa application form (JW202) and the official acceptance letter will be sent out in June if admitted. Normally, students may obtain the visa in middle or late August.
  • How can I apply my student visa?
    Accepted applicants should bring the following materials to the embassy or consulate of the People's Republic of China in their respective countries in order to apply for the X visa: •Passport •Acceptance Letter •Visa Application Form for Foreigners Wishing to Study in China (JW202) •Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners and Blood Test Record. Students must register before the deadline at the International Students & Scholars Center and get the Residence Permit within 30 days after they enter China. Note: Students with both a Hong Kong/Taiwan/Macau ID card and a foreign passport are should carefully consider whether to apply as a Hong Kong/Taiwan/Macau student or as an international student. A registered international student must have a valid student visa and a valid Residence Permit while studying at Tsinghua. One can not apply as an international student to study and subsequently reside in Mainland China using his/her Hong Kong/Taiwan/Macau ID card.
  • What degree do SEM MBA Program graduates receive?
    Upon completion of degree requirements, candidates receive a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. Global MBA students, in addition, will receive a certificate from MIT Sloan School of Management as well.
  • What is the average class size?
    An MBA class is usually 80 students. The class is split into 2 sessions for some required courses, especially the softskill courses, to ensure the active participation from every student.
Financial Aid & Student Loan
Student Life
  • How many students attend the SEM MBA Programs every year?
    SEM has approximately 420 MBA students enrolled every year.
  • Where do most SEM students live?
    Most full-time domestic students live on campus, but most international students choose to live off campus. Although neither the school nor the university can provide any information about housing off campus, affordable housing can be found close to the campus and near the public transportation system. Our current MBA students can also help you in finding housing off campus.
  • Does Tsinghua Provide on-campus housing for international students? If so, how can I apply for it?
    Yes. On-campus housing is available for international students. You can visit website of International Students & Scholars Center at http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn/ for detailed info (check Campus Life, then Accommodations). Once admitted, you will be given instructions on how to apply for on-campus housing.
  • Can I work while studying at Tsinghua?
    The program is quite demanding and rigorous, and you should expect to spend most of your weekday time studying. Incoming students are not encouraged to support themselves through work while taking this full-time program.
  • Are there opportunities to learn Chinese?
    Aside from the Chinese classes offered every semester, the area around Tsinghua University has a large number of Chinese language schools, ranging from large classes to one on one study. Many international students take Chinese classes three or more times a week outside of their normal course load. If you are interested in additional Chinese courses, some training schools around Tsinghua are provided below: Tsinghua Chinese Language Program Tel: +86-10-62784621 Fax: +86-10-62771134 E-mail: lxsb@tsinghua.edu.cn Web: http://intlstudent.cic.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/index.html Beijing Language and Culture University Tel: +86-10-82303951 Fax: +86-10-82303087 Web: http://www.studyinblcu.cn
  • Do I have to learn Chinese? How important is learning Chinese?
    To be admitted into Global MBA Program, international students are not required to be proficient in Chinese. However, living in Beijing and doing business in China, especially in the areas of sales and marketing, require some grasp of Chinese. International students are highly encouraged to learn Chinese while studying at Tsinghua. Many different Chinese dialects exist throughout China, but Standard Mandarin, based on the Beijing dialect, is the official dialect used by Chinese government officials and most television and radio programs throughout China.
Copyright © Tsinghua University School of Economics and Managem